I am most comfortable in the kitchen so many of my gifts for my family start there. Once I learned of my unacceptable cholesterol levels, I had to assume my children may follow so the gifts coming from my kitchen will start them down the right path. Let’s step away from holiday baking for a minute and talk about some gift ideas.
My son loves his Grandmother’s pickled beets and has ever since he was about two years old. Pickled beets are quick to make and yummy. An easy gift for him (and his children). Yeah, I know it’s silly, but if you knew my son ... well ... he’ll love it. Note: if you really want a recipe for pickled beets, just comment below and I'll post it!)
In an effort to pass on the prepackaged oatmeal, I found a marvelous recipe for homemade, and really easy, oatmeal mix.
Stepfanie's Oatmeal Mix
- 6 cups old-fashioned or steel-cut oats
- 3/4 c ground flax seeds
- 3 T cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
Store in the refrigerator as flax seeds and walnuts can spoil quickly.
- Number of Servings: 12
- Calories: 329
- Total Fat: 15.3 g* (This is mostly heart-healthy fats from the walnuts and flaxseed, both of which contain Omega-3 fatty acids.)
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Sodium: 1.2 mg
- Total Carbs: 44.9 g
- Dietary Fiber: 8.8 g
- Protein: 8.9 g
- Divide the oatmeal into single servings (1 cup food storage containers work great for this) or deliver the gift in a decorative cookie jar.
- Personalize this as you'd like. Swap almonds, pumpkin seeds or pecans for the walnuts; use raisins, dried pineapple or some apple rings instead of cranberries.
- If you prefer sweetened oatmeal: Add cocoa powder and a bit of sugar, toss in some brown sugar or give a bottle of real maple syrup to supplement the gift.
- You can also use barley, cracked wheat, wheat germ or oat bran.
Need some ideas?
Blueberry Pecan Pancake Mix
The Food Network website offers many options for breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner , etc. I found this great little quiche for our Christmas brunch:
Mini Spinach and Mushroom Quiche - great for brunch!
It won’t be long before we’re all making resolutions to “do better” than the year before ... but more on that later.