- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 chopped onion
- 2 - 4 ounce cans chopped green chiles
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 - 15 ounce cans great northern beans, rinsed
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups cooked skinless turkey or chicken
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onion; stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in chiles, oregano, cumin, and cayenne. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in beans and broth; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add turkey or chicken (or tofu if you’re vegetarian) and vinegar; cook for 5 more minutes and serve.
- Per serving: 453 calories; 6 grams fat (2 grams saturated fat/2 grams mono); 68 mg. Cholesterol; 44 grams carbohydrates; 0 grams added sugars; 44 grams protein; 9 grams fiber; 213 mg sodium; 965 mg potassium.
- Niacin (80% daily value); fiber (45% daily value); Vitamin C (30% daily value); Iron (25% daily value).
- Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 5 very lean meat