First, some websites that encouraged me and fed my insane desire to try new recipes:
- Cooking for lower cholesterol
- Low cholesterol recipes
- The American Heart Association website
Then, I continued to search for other options and found a site that showed me how to lower my cholesterol naturally, such as this site — Lower Cholesterol Naturally.
Keeping in mind that the Internet offers a wealth of information, I read through each site thoroughly and decided just what I would do:
- Get off the couch
- Add oatmeal to my daily foods (instant packets make a quick snack if you can find hot water).
- Remove all saturated fats (at least at first)
- Add the following supplements to my daily routine: 500 mg niacin and fish oil capsules. (Research told me to take my supplements at night.)
I found an article in the first Heart Healthy Living magazine called “Cholesterol Myths ... Busted” that was great! It told of another miracle supplement ... red yeast rice that had similar results to the typically prescribed statins. I figured I didn't have anything to lose so I found some at WalMart of all places!
So, there you have it–my plan. Get moving, add oatmeal to my diet, add niacin, fish oil, and red yeast rice and go low fat.
Stay tuned for the next doctor’s visit ...